HEY, SESSION ORGANIZERS! CHECK OUT THESE RESOURCES FOR HOSTING AN UNFORGETTABLE EVENT AT DSW 2023
Denver Startup Week, founded in 2012, is a celebration of everything entrepreneurial in Denver and beyond. The weeklong, free event unites the entrepreneurial community in celebration of the great companies, innovation and ideas, and the people and inspiration behind them.
In addition to the Job Fair, Physical Product Showcase and Pitch competitions, our 200+ panels, workshops, and sessions are a key component in shaping Denver Startup Week. In this outline, we’ve included tips & tricks, ideas, and resources to help you throw an unforgettable DSW session in 2023.
IMPORTANT: SESSION ORGANIZER WORKSHOPS
Whether you're a first-time presenter or a seasoned veteran, these workshops are the perfect way to prepare for DSW and shake off any pre-session nerves you may have. Practice your material with other presenters and gain insights into connecting with your audience. With the help of Megan Heffernan of Megaphone Coaching, you'll be sure to have the confidence and know-how to lead a memorable session at Denver Startup Week!
- Register for Wednesday, September 13, 12:30pm, Here
- Register for Thursday, September 14, 4:30pm, Here
TRAINING SESSIONS RECAP
We hosted a hybrid training session for Session Organizers to hear from our Organizing Committee and ask questions. In case you missed it, you can find the slide deck from the presentation here. Still have questions? Please reach out to your Track Chair for questions regarding your session details, Venue Contact for questions regarding AV equipment or venue setup, or firstname.lastname@example.org for anything else.
UM, WHAT SHOULD I BE DOING NOW?
- Confirm your session date, time and location: denverstartupweek.org/schedule
- Confirm your description is accurate and compelling, and includes all relevant speaker names, companies, and bios - update this at www.denverstartupweek.org/dashboard
- Check your RSVP count (but don’t panic; more below)
- Ensure all of your speakers are registered for DSW at www.denverstartupweek.org/register (this is the only way we can link them to your session so they show up on the schedule)
- E-mail email@example.com if anything is missing or incorrect
HOW CAN I PROMOTE MY SESSION? WILL DSW BE PROMOTING IT?
We work to promote sessions through official DSW channels, but we can’t cover every session in depth. We rely on session organizers to help get the word out!
- Our Social Media Kit for Speakers includes messaging, graphics, and instructions to personalize the assets with your headshot. It couldn't be easier to share about your DSW participation on social media! Access the toolkit here.
- Don't forget to use the hashtag #DENStartupWeek and tag us in your posts. Get in on the action by promoting your events starting NOW!
- Thousands of people have already registered and built their schedule! Let's build on this momentum and work together to continue to grow our registration numbers.
- Be sure to tag your speakers to extend your reach. Use individual tags as well as company names and hashtags. Ask them to repost and share!
- We'd also love for you to give a shout out to a few of our sponsors. Take a look at the sponsor list and be sure to give them a nice social shout out as a way to say thank you for helping bring this FREE event, including your session, to life
- The DSW logo and other design assets for your social media posts can be found here.
- Follow DSW at the links below:
OK, I’M ON IT! BY THE WAY, IS EVERYTHING IN PERSON?
Yes! Pack those business cards and come on down in person on September 18-22!
WOW! WHERE IS IT ALL HAPPENING?
We are bringing back DSW HQ (formerly known as Basecamp) with the support of our Presenting Sponsor Amazon. Find HQ in 1601 Arapahoe Ave off of 16th St. Mall. HQ will be open all week during business hours for coffee, water, networking, keynote events, happy hours, and more.
Most track sessions are taking place in one of about ten other venues around downtown. The majority of track sessions will all take place in the same venue as other sessions in your track. For example, Spotlight Track sessions will be taking place at the Commons on Champa. Check the schedule for more details!
WHAT AUDIOVISUAL WILL BE AVAILABLE?
All venues will have a screen for slides, microphones, and seating for at least 100. If you need additional equipment please contact your track chair.
We will also be recording all DSW sessions. Recordings will be made available on our Youtube page after the event.
I CHECKED MY RSVPS AND THEY ARE LOW, OR HIGH!
The count on your session’s detail page is the number of folks who have added it to their schedule - not necessarily the number that will show up. A 30-40% conversion rate from prior RSVPs to actual session attendees is anticipated. We do not re-home sessions based on RSVP counts except in truly exceptional circumstances. Picture it: packed medium-sized rooms are way preferable to huge empty rooms. So keep promoting regardless of the RSVP count!
WHAT SLIDES SHOULD I USE? WHAT ABOUT SIGNAGE?
Slides - We have pre-built templates and sponsor slides for both Keynote and Google slides for your use. Find them here! You can make a download these slides to make them your own. Grab our logo, fonts and brand guide here.
PLEASE include sponsor slides in your presentation. This week only happens due to the support of our sponsors!
Denver Startup Week Track signage is not specific to sessions; no need to change it out.
WHAT DOES THE DAY OF LOOK LIKE?
- The day of your session, arrive 30 minutes early to confirm set-up, test AV, etc.
- Bring your own laptop and presentation, be ready to go!
- Sessions are booked with 30 minutes between to turn the room - please don’t go long and impact the session after you
- Volunteers will be assigned to support your venue and session
- Sponsors may show up - if they’re there, introduce them and ask them to say a few words. Some sponsors have tables!
- Be sure to thank your venue host and your sponsor!
HOW SHOULD MY SESSION BEGIN?Each session should begin with:
- Thank you for joining us at the eleventh annual Denver Startup Week!
- Thank you to our title sponsors Amazon, Capital One Cafe, Dell for Startups, and the Downtown Denver Partnership. (You should be showing the sponsor slides at this point)
- This session is part of the [Track Name, Sponsored By ___], one of eight programming tracks aimed at supporting the entire entrepreneurial team.
- By attending this session you’re agreeing to follow our Code of Conduct as well as to being photographed or recorded on video.
- Be sure to share your experience at this session online using #DENStartupWeek! (feel free to add your own hashtag too)
HOW CAN I ENGAGE MY AUDIENCE?
- The more interactive your session is, the better! Consider a fun (and short) icebreaker at the beginning of your session. Get people responding by raising their hands, standing up, introducing themselves to their neighbors, etc.
- Encourage your audience members to post highlights during / after your session using #DENStartupWeek on social media.
- Encourage the audience to direct any questions that you don’t have time to answer to your Twitter handle, creating engagement and buzz even after your session is over.
- Consider having some kind of giveaway at the end of your session - and announce that only those who stay through the end will be eligible to win. (Could be as small as a gift card or promo code, could be some sort of company-related membership or package - try to think of fun prizes.)
WHO WILL BE THERE TO HELP?
- Volunteers will be scheduled for venues to help manage flow and check registration.
- Identify volunteers by their DSW t-shirts!
- Please introduce yourself and work with them to make your session the best yet!
- Not a bad idea to bring a couple of your own colleagues although we’ll plan to have a volunteer at all sessions.
- You may also see your Track Chair, Sponsor reps, or DSW staff who (depending on the event) may want to hop on stage and welcome everyone very briefly. Please allow for a couple minutes if requested!
WHAT ARE WE DOING FOR DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND ACCESSIBILITY?
Denver Startup Week is building an inclusive, connected, empowered, and diverse entrepreneurship ecosystem. We, the business community of Denver and beyond, must work together as we diversify & adapt our entrepreneurial spirit to build an even better, more resilient economy.
- At Denver Startup Week we strive to make all of our sessions a space where attendees can connect, learn, and grow — regardless of gender identity, gender expression, race, ability, sexual orientation, and the combination of those identities.
- Moreover, we strive to hold events that not just include, but affirm the identities of everyone present. Hosting an inclusive session takes intentional work and action by YOU, the organizers.
- When you submitted your session, you agreed to make our commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion your commitment to DEI. Please see our Code of Conduct here.
- Please ensure your session speakers and content reflect a wide variety of perspectives. If you need assistance curating your session to align with these core DSW values, please reach out to DEI Chairs, Dianne Myles and Alexis Newton (firstname.lastname@example.org), or your Track Chair.
- ASL interpretation is also available on select sessions and on request in advance. Closed captioning will be implemented for sessions at Denver Startup Week 2023 when they are uploaded to Youtube.
If you have any questions that were not answered in this article, please Contact Us here.