Growing Culture from 3 to 150
Culture is not something that should be frozen in time as you grow. As your company grows, how do you allow the culture to also grow and evolve, while also still retaining the roots and values you care about?
Ben Christensen, co-founder of Handshake, joins us to speak about lessons learned scaling Handshake’s culture over the last few years of their growth. Handshake is the leading college-to-career network helping today’s students launch meaningful careers. Handshake has grown from a team of 3 Michigan Tech grads in 2014 to a team of over 150 over the last 5 years.
The question of what it means to develop and grow culture as the company scales is a question we’ve faced every day for the last few years.
- How do we make sure the team we’re building represents the world of students we are supporting? How do we build a culture that values and supports people of all backgrounds?
- How do we celebrate past journeys and stories of the company in a way that brings in new employees rather than excludes them?
- How do we let go of certain parts of the culture and allow them to adapt and change, and what should we NOT let go of?
- How do we maintain a sense of cohesiveness across two office locations and distributed work-from-home team members?
- When is the right time to establish structured values as a company and how do you infuse those into the company?